County & City Sign Regulations Edit

For information regarding County sign regulations please contact: Snohomish County Public Works Permitting Section (425) 388-6453

For information regarding city sign placement regulations, please contact the individual city public works departments.

All political signs are subject to the zoning laws of Snohomish County.

Sign violation complaints do not come under the jurisdiction of the County Auditor. Please check with your city or town regarding local sign ordinances and requirements. To check for additional Snohomish County requirements contact the Zoning Division of the Planning Department at (425) 388-3311.

State Sign Regulations Edit

The Department of Transportation and the Attorney General have provided the following rules to all candidates regarding placement of signs and placards along state highways.

Reference RCW 47.42, the Scenic Vistas Act, restricts signs on Interstate Highways, all Primary Highways, and the entire Scenic and Recreational Highway System. Signs erected on private property adjacent to these highways must comply with the Scenic Vistas Act, and local zoning restrictions.

In accordance with Washington Administrative Code (WAC) 468-66-050, Classification of signs, political signs are considered a Type 3(b) on-premise sign for which no fee or application is necessary. Temporary political signs are signs which express the property owner’s endorsement of a political candidate or ballot issue, with the following restrictions:
• Temporary political campaign signs are limited to a maximum size of thirty-two square feet in area.
• Temporary political campaign signs must be removed within ten days after the election.
• Temporary political campaign signs are subject to all other applicable provisions of Chapter 47.42 RCW and Chapter 468-66 WAC that pertain to Type 3 on-premise signs.

In addition to the above restrictions, the posting of advertising signs within the right-of-way of all state highways is illegal. Accordingly, any sign placed within the right-of-way of any state highway will be removed by the Department of Transportation.

Washington State Department of Transportation:
Robert Howden, Outdoor Advertising Specialist
Department of Transportation
P.O. Box 47300
Olympia, WA 98504-7300 (360) 705-7291

Outdoor Advertising Representative
Steve Chick

Traffic Sign Specialist
Lloyd Ensley
(360) 705-7294

Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.